What is a Concussion?
- A brain injury
- Typically caused, but not always, by an impact to the head, with or without loss of consciousness.
Every Concussion is different – therefore, the term concussion is often thought of as an umbrella term for this group of symptoms, click here for symptoms of Concussion.
What do I do if I think I sustained a concussion?
- STOP what you are doing (studying, playing, electronic devices)
- Seek immediate medical attention – ask your family physician for advice
- REST – take time to rest your mind and body
- Take it slow – slowly get back to studying, working and playing
What treatment is available at the Thamesview Family Health Team?
- Contact your Family Physician for immediate medical attention.
- Referral to an Occupational Therapist
- Baseline testing for cognition and balance, along with vision and vestibular testing
- Early Management of concussion symptoms
- Balance training
- Vision and Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Return to work strategies
- Communication of treatment progression with Family Physician
In order to get referral, patients should call to 519.354.0070 ext.602 or 610.